A Mischief Of Magpies

If the Sun were the size of a beach ball then Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball and a Mischief of Magpies would be as small as a pea.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Living in a goldfish bowl

There are a lot of problems facing governments these days. The threat of terrorism, high crime levels, corruption within government, how to improve public services. But there is one country that has solved all these problems and now has time to look after our fishy friends. That country, my friends, is Italy, home of pizza, pasta, greasy men on mopeds and now bastion of goldfish freedom.
Apparently, the traditional round goldfish bowls can cause the poor little beggars to go blind. They also don't provide enough oxygen. I love animals and have some fish as pets myself but I'm not falling for this one. People have been keeping goldfish in bowls for years and, whilst they don't have a long lifespan, I doubt that's because of the bowl. Anyway, it's not up to me.
I do wonder how they're going to enforce this snazzy new law. Will pet shops be raided regularly and forced to inform on people ? What will thre punishment be ? A simple fine (hardly enough to deter anyone) or perhaps they will be given a taste of their own medicine and made to spend a day in a huge goldfish bowl in the town centre ? Now that would be worth seeing.
Let me just re-iterate that I am not against animal rights at all. My concern is that, if the health implications are true, then surely the information should be published and it can be a matter of common sense. There are more pressing issues to be dealt with and this smacks of time-wasting MPs who can't be arsed to have a proper debate.

3 Comments:

At 10:24 pm, Blogger Clairwil said...

I give this law six months. They'll be flooded with asylum seeking goldfish demanding free rectangular tanks and plastic castle at the Italian tax payers expense. You mark my words!

 
At 12:40 pm, Blogger creepylesbo said...

I have a hegagon shaped one. Do you think that has the same issues? My last goldfish DID eat any other fish we tried to incorporate into the living quarters? We thought he was just naturally cannibalistic, but could it be that we drove him to it??

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger margin walker said...

If we are living in a goldfish bowl then lets hope that fish dont catch Bird Flu.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home