A Mischief Of Magpies

If the Sun were the size of a beach ball then Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball and a Mischief of Magpies would be as small as a pea.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Blunkett goes (again)

Ah, David Blunkett. Described by some as a talented politician. I say the man's a moron. First, he abuses his position as Home Secretary to fast-track a visa application for his lover's nanny and now he's been caught with a conflict of interest by owning shares in a DNA testing company which was bidding for a government contract to provide a service to the Child Support Agency (I particularly like the cartoon in the Times the other day which had 2 pictures of him, the first with him holding a baby and demanding a DNA inquiry and the second with his share certificate saying "I don't want a DNA inquiry."). Not only that, but he was repeatedly warned that he wasn't allowed to do it and yet he did nothing about it. Now he's resigned and claiming that the media are harrassing him. Poor little rich boy.

I work in a position of trust myself. I have access to all sorts of information and I could easily abuse my position if I wanted to. I don't because I understand that there will be consequences and because I know it's wrong. He is not only a Member of Parliament but a member of the Cabinet, very high up indeed. Common sense would dictate that he would make sure he did absolutely nothing wrong. It's a well-known fact that the tabloid press finds out everything eventually. Why risk your job and even your family ?

Politicians seem to think they're above the law and that the rules that they make up for us to live by don't apply to them. If it had been a member of his staff who was doing these things I'm quite sure they would have been sacked as soon as possible. So it should be for David Blunkett. Not only should he lose his Cabinet position, he should be removed as a Member of Parliament. Do we want people like this running our country ? I know I don't. GET BLUNKETT OUT ! GET BLUNKETT OUT !

3 Comments:

At 8:27 pm, Blogger ill man said...

It does indeed stick in the craw to see politicians fail to understand the concept of "a conflict of interests". With power comes arrogance, and a lot of MP's, to a greater or lesser degree abuse certain priviledges.

The only way to remove Blunkett as a member of parliament is at the next election. He's been elected by his constituents and they alone have the power to remove him. The only other way is if he dies, he resigns(not likely)or he has in fact been found to have committed a criminal act.

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger Clairwil said...

Ah, my ill friend that's just where you're wrong. I spotted this in todays Herald.

'There's still every chance' observed one 'that David will eventually fall victim to the Three strikes and you're a European Commissioner rule.'

Who could they be referring to, I wonder?

 
At 2:55 am, Blogger ill man said...

Dear old Mandie............I'd forgotten all about him.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home