A Mischief Of Magpies

If the Sun were the size of a beach ball then Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball and a Mischief of Magpies would be as small as a pea.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Lying To Your Parents Is a Valid Lifestyle Choice.





Ah, the good old Daily Mail, where would we be without it? I'll tell you where, a world where people were tricked into thinking that everything wasn't just black and white, a world where people only got hysterical in extreme circumstances, a world where headlines delivered what they promised, in other words a saner, more relaxed world. Anyway the Chicken Licken of Fleet Street is off on one again about CHILDREN ABORTING CHILDREN!!!!!! Oh My God.

As far as I can make out the sketch is that some woman is complaining that her daughter can't have a plaster applied in school but could be referred for an abortion by a school nurse. Instead of thinking the whole thing through rationally, like what I have and concluding that nurses should hand plasters over to teenagers, who in my experience are large enough to apply their own, she's gone off on one about abortion. My personal view is that the age of consent for everything should be lowered to thirteen, treating teenagers like babies just encourages them to behave like cheeky children with an alcohol habit.

To wander back towards the point I see no harm in lying to ones parents at any age. My entire relationship with my parents is based on lies and has been since I started masturbating twenty years ago. For heaven's sake, the entire point of abortion is to get one out of a scrape, why spoil things and make people grass themselves up? Will the men or boys who are partially responsible for these pregnancies be tracked down and forced to confess to their parents? I think not. Therefore society is treating women and girls differently on the basis of gender, which I believe is sexism and not allowed.

For the record, at the age of thirty my parents know we are related and little else. They don't know; I live with a guinea pig called Belle, I have a strictly twice weekly boyfriend, I resigned from my last job without securing further employment first, I have had an abortion and fancy getting sterilised. I'd merely like to extend the same right of privacy to the kiddies. Am I wrong? Parents only ever do what they think is in your best interests, never what actually is.

3 Comments:

At 11:55 am, Blogger Paul B said...

I'm not sure I agree with lowering the age of consent: I have a friend who lost his virginity at the age of 12 (the girl apparently thought he was 15 or 16), and it really messed him up emotionally until the age of about 21 or 22.

Other than that, I couldn't agree more - this big-mouthed woman is pretty much the personification of the Daily Mail, and she's been granted audience at the High Court. Jesus wept.

In a hilarious postscript to it, it's been revealed (alleged? Not sure if it's verified or not) that her 16-year-old kid is pregnant as we speak. I hope that she'll be marrying the lad responsible before the birth, otherwise what example would that set to the millions of kiddies watching?

 
At 1:36 pm, Blogger creepylesbo said...

I lost mine at 14 - and it wasn't legal then and even if it was I still would have done it and it still would have messed me up. And if it's going to happen and mess me up anyway, why have the added worry that I could be sent to jail for it as well?
Problem is there's no telling kids. If I went to a school and said 'sex messed me up' they'd all still do it because we're a selfish bunch and tend to think everyone else is lying or stupid at that age but we're better than them.
But god help me if my parents knew anything about my life - and I'm out to them.

 
At 7:01 pm, Blogger Clairwil said...

Obviously I don't know the details of friends situation but I wonder if it was the guilt and the taboo surrounding underage sex that messed him up. Childhood is artificially extend in modern western society. I work with refugees and meet many women who have been married and had a couple of kids by the age of fourteen which is considered normal in their societies. None of them seem particularly traumatised with that.

I agree with creepylesbo, although hilariously I don't think underage girls can be prosecuted for having sex (I'm not sure if that's just Scot's law), but boys can and worse still, are placed on the sex offenders register.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home