A Mischief Of Magpies

If the Sun were the size of a beach ball then Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball and a Mischief of Magpies would be as small as a pea.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Not too sure about this one...

When I was at school, in the sheltered suburbs of Edinburgh, I came out as bisexual.

I was sixteen.

It took less than one day for the entire school to know.

People shouted "Dyke!" and "Lezzy!" and other deeply intelligent remarks wherever I went. They crossed to the other side of the corridors when I walked past, in case they 'caught' it. They spat on me from the top of stairwells.

Do you know how hard a mouthful of gob lands on you coming from up high?

They even threw lemon coloured Opal Fruits (Starburst now) at me.

Nothing could be done about it. Section 28 was in place at the time, and teachers refused to discuss my sexuality with me, or the discrimination I was facing as a result. Section 28 has since been scrapped.

Eventually the idiots got bored of me and moved on to torture someone else.

School is a nasty place. The idea of taking a large number of vastly different people, closing them in together in a pen, teaching them things that they're unlikely to ever need in their lives as adults and refusing to police the inevitable situations that arise seems like madness to me.

Which is why I was sort of pleased to read that a court in California has ruled against gay bashing T-shirts.

The T-shirt in question had "Be Ashamed, Our School Embraced What God Has Condemned" on the front and "Homosexuality Is Shamefull" on the back.

The lawyers for the student whose T-shirt it is, claim that being forced to stop wearing it infringes on their client's religious rights.

Whatever. It was only a T-shirt. Banning it will not make the prejudice go away. I see why they reached this verdict, that for it to be worn in class was distracting to say the least, and creating a hostile environment...but all the ban has done is create a martyr for Christianity's fundementalists.

Which is exactly what the student - who wore it in protest of a tolerance day and challenged the school to suspend him over it twice - wanted to achieve.

With thanks to Feministe.

2 Comments:

At 10:22 pm, Blogger ill man said...

What a hateful little nazi this t-shirt guy sounds. The whole thing surrounding this is bizarre too. Somehow because the school authorities WON'T support discrimination, either explicitly or implicitly(as is the norm)then the end of civilisation must be at hand. The basic issue the bible thumpers have with 'Tolerance Days' is the reinforcement of the idea that homosexuals(or any other hated minority) are human, not sub-human. They can't stand the idea for some reason.

Seems Tolerance Day has done it's job anyway. Anything to get these absolute arseholes up in arms and acting like the mentally and emotionally stunted throwbacks they truly are. I wonder if such initiatives stretch to embracing your neighbourhood bigot?

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Aine said...

I've got such a wasp up my arse about this at the moment.

Every other day I hear something else about the Christian fundies.

It actually frightens me. Britain tends to follow America's lead, and the religious right seem to have gained a substantial foothold there in recent years.

I'm drunk right now, so I'll be quiet for the moment. Probably best. :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home