A Mischief Of Magpies

If the Sun were the size of a beach ball then Jupiter would be the size of a golf ball and a Mischief of Magpies would be as small as a pea.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Shopping

For ages now I've been wanting to give my dress sense an overhaul.

I mean, I've been wandering around in long hippie skirts since I was 14, for god's sake.

And it's not like it's easy to find long skirts for someone of my height, anyway. I've usually got to buy two and stitch them together to make one that's long enough.

Sure, lots of shops have Tall sections now, but those hardly ever have skirts in them, and when they do, even they aren't long enough.

They have loads of trousers, which has always pissed me off. I'm quite a big lassie, and trousers tend to make me look a bit mannish.

Today I went shopping, and instead of letting the lack of choice wind me up, I remembered my desire to change my image, took a deep breath, and bought trousers.

Fuck me but they look quite good if I do say so myself.

What with having long hair now I don't look mannish at all.

And the entire reason I have written this immensley shallow and me-centred post, is so I can ask you all:

What is with those bloody shorts that are everywhere just now?

6 Comments:

At 10:53 pm, Blogger ill man said...

Ah yes,'City Shorts'. Not quite trousers but not quite shorts either. I think they usually look pretty awful on people.That said, I never noticed them until someone pointed the phenomenon out to me, so what the hell would I know...........?

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger Aine said...

I imagine a certain kind of figure can get away with them quite nicely...but when it's all that's available, everybody's gonna try it...

BAD.

 
At 2:37 pm, Anonymous David Duff said...

I hesitate to enter the minefield of ladies fashion, the little 'Memsahib' having dealt me several nasty blows over the years from which I still bear the scars, but, on your problem with skirts and height, isn't the mini-skirt your answer?

(Photos in a plain brown envelope would help elicit a considered opinion from me but send them to my Box No., the little 'Memsahib' seems to have second sight!)

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger Aine said...

Now look. I'm 5'11". A mini skirt on me would be more like a belt...

 
At 7:57 pm, Blogger creepylesbo said...

Have you tried Long Tall Sally? http://www.longtallsally.com/

 
At 11:45 am, Blogger Aine said...

I used to be one of the Edinburgh LTS store's most regular customers. I loved that shop. But over Xmas they got new owners who changed all the sizings and lengths and now nothing's long enough in there anymore.

Which is a bit shite.

Thankyou though.

I'm getting a sewing machine this weekend. Maybe I'll be able to make my own clothes...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home